COCKTAILS WITH A CONSCIENCE
Seeing as we are knee deep into the Holiday Season it’s high time to sleuth out sources of sugar to maintain our sanity. One of the sneakiest of sources are holiday cocktails.
But don’t quit cocktails just yet. Instead, UPGRADE them….
It IS possible to have your drink and gleefully sip it too when you learn simple ways to add nourishing ingredients to recreate the buzz you get without the aftermath the following day.
Below are my top 5 ingredients to balance your boozy drinks:
KOMBUCHA: a cultured tea BRIMMING with protection + immune boosting benefits and it comes in a HOST of mixable flavors.
FRESH GINGER: a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that just so happens to prevent nausea and lower your blood sugar as well!
COCONUT CREAM: think elixir of the GODS as it boasts fantastic nourishing fats while also bringing to the table that tropical flare that cold weather craves.
BITTERS: activate digestive enzymes to tame your tummy before the celebrations begin
HERBS + SPICES: the most potent powerhouses of anti-bacterial anti-inflammatory nutrients that not only pack a punch in your drink but also protection in the body
CHAI HOT TODDY [serves 2]:
- 6 oz Green Tea Liqueur [Bols]
- 8 oz steeped black tea
- 1/2 tsp Chai Spices [1/4 tsp cardamom powder + 1 slice ginger + 2 cinnamon stick + 4 cloves]
- 2 oz coconut cream
- Combine the liqueur with hot, steeped tea.
- Add the Chai spices and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a glass, add coconut cream, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
POMEGRANATE MOSCOW MULE [serves 1]:
- 4 oz vodka
- 2 oz pomegranate juice
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 cup ice
- ginger kombucha
- sprig of Rosemary
- In a cocktail glass stir together vodka, pomegranate juice, pomegranate seeds, tbsp. lime juice, honey, and ice.
- Top off with ginger kombucha and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
COCONUT CREAM EGGNOG [serves 2]:
- 3 cups whole coconut milk
- 4 pastured egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon [ground]
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg [ground]
- 4 oz bourbon or dark rum [optional]
- coconut whipped cream [optional]
- Heat coconut milk over medium-low heat and stir constantly.
- Once warm stir in the egg yolks and continue stirring to thicken.
- Once visibly thick stir in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and alcohol [if using].
- Place in the fridge until cool.
- Pour into individual cup and top with coconut whipped cream.
ELDERBERRY SPRITZER [serves 1]:
- 1/2 oz elderberry cordial or syrup
- 7 1/2 oz prosecco, champagne, or sparkling mineral water
- Place elderberry cordial or syrup in a champagne flute [or other tall skinny glass].
- Pour in bubbles and enjoy.
ROSEMARY GIN FIZZ [serves 1]:
- 2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz rosemary simple syrup [heat your simple syrup up with 2 sprigs of rosemary]
- 3 oz club soda
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Place gin, lemon juice, and rosemary simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a highball glass with ice and top with club soda.
- Garnish with rosemary sprig.
MANHATTAN [serves 1]:
- 2 oz whiskey
- 1 oz sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes of artisan bitters [Dram: colorado bitters is an excellent option]
- Place whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters over ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Rub orange rind around the rim of the glass and place in 1 or 2 ice cubes.
- Shake vigorously and strain into the glass.