Like everyone, I’m a mixture of a lot of things: I’m a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a Master’s Degree in Nutrition; I’m a person on my own wellness journey; and, at my very core, I’m a champion for your nourishment and vibrancy, from cell to soul.My philosophy about wellness started with my own path of trial and error [yep, lots of error]. I was a collegiate swimmer, and I found myself at the intersection of rigorous practices and toxic foods, drinks, and thoughts.
I was having a battle between my head and my heart—a wanted clarity and contentment, but my choices just weren’t getting me there. Irritability, debilitating fatigue, sugar cravings, and chronic stomach pain sideswiped my emotions. And I found myself with acute inflammation and, ultimately, a diagnosis of autoimmunity.
My practical side told me to push through the pain and just follow the rules. Each day I’d wake up with the best intentions to wipe the slate clean and do things “right,” but the more logical I became about my health crisis, the more confused I became. I tried every quick fix out there. Medication? Check. Caffeine? Check. Symptom suppression? Check. I finally had to ask myself, “Why is it so hard to just find balance?”
It was a Naturopathic Doctor (ND) who finally clued me in: my symptoms were my body’s love language crying to me for survival. Given the chance, it would respond and heal.
I learned a new way of living from my ND, and went on to study for my own degree. Now, I teach what I learned.I teach what I wish I had known when I was in survival mode.
I’ve spent years designing, tweaking, and refining my knowledge, strategies, and protocols to help others interpret their bodies, track down their toxic offenders,and come alive.
I can tell you from experience, you have so much to gain from your journey. As your own symptoms subside, you’ll be reminded of one of the most simple, most basic things about our bodies: food is our most potent medicine and our best recipe for preventative healthcare. And just as wonderfully, you’ll rediscover the power of food to build community; connect us to our cultures; and nourish every aspect of our bodies, from cell to soul.
Education and Credentials
- RD/RDN: Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Academy of Nutrition Dietetics
- Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition with an emphasis on Medical Nutrition Therapy, Bastyr University, Seattle WA
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Medicine and Biochemistry, University of Virginia
Professional Affiliations (current and past)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Denver Dietetics Association
- North Sound Dietetics Association
- Washington State Food and Nutrition Council
- Dietitians in Functional and Integrative Nutrition Practice Group
- Nutrition Entrepreneurs Dietetic Practice Group
- Founder of Slow Food, Bastyr Campus Chapter
- Founder of Slow Food, University of Virginia Campus Chapter