While color is fading above the ground, do not despair! Simply take a peek beneath the dirt. What you’ll find is that color abounds…. in roots!
And it turns out roots host some of the most grounding + healing carbohydrates to the body making it worth every minute of your time to consolidate a few of them capitalizing on their candy-like appeal.
Follow this recipe to indulge in a hash that will add some color, vibrance, and energy to your life from dawn to dusk [even on the darkest winter day].
Roots are candy. Dig in! 🥕
• dirt candy hash •
Indulge in a root based hash that will add some color, vibrance, and energy to your life.
- 1 tbsp oil [of choice, divided]
- 3/4 lb protein [of choice]
- 1 tsp sea salt [divided]
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts [sliced by hand OR shredded with food processor shredded attachment]
- 1 yellow OR red onion [finely chopped]
- 1 delicata squash [deseeded + sliced into very thin semi-circles] OR rutabega [finely chopped]
- 2 cloves garlic [minced]
- 1 medium apple [finely diced]
- 1 sprig rosemary [finely chopped]
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds [pre-soaked, if possible]
- 1 tsp honey [optional]
Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add protein, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and sauté until protein is cooked to preference. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
To the same skillet, add 1/2 Tbsp oil, Brussels sprouts, onions, delicate squash OR rutabaga and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté until vegetables are soft and onions are translucent, approximately 8-10 minutes [or until vegetables are cooked to preference].
Next, add protein, garlic and apple to skillet and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Sprinkle rosemary and pumpkin seeds over mixture, drizzle with honey [if using] and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
Divide evenly between 4 plates and serve warm.